Sensibilities

An attempt to make sense of things in a random universe, one Friday at a time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Leaving my footsteps for you to find and follow, my love.

01 June 2007

Oh, to be seven

My son turned seven today.


He has always been a happy baby, and he is still the light of the house today. He's just a little bit grumpy most mornings, especially when he has to wake up early for school, because he takes after my habit of staying up late (I to read, him to take apart his toys and put them together again). He laughs everytime he reads Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and sometimes, out of the blue, he tells me about spaceships. His favorite computer game is from Disney Channel, one where two players are in a kitchen and throw food at each other. Sometimes, too, he texts me gibberish, just for fun.

His favorite color is red. His favorite toy of the moment is the cheap and tiny Spiderman action figure that turns black when placed in the freezer. He doesn't like wearing slippers when inside the house but when he's outside the house, with shoes on, he'd rather take the long way than step on a small wet spot on the pavement. Once after watching Mr. Bean: The Movie, he said, "Mommy, I like the ending. It's good. It's not happy or sad. It's just good."

When I was seven, nothing was sad, many things were happy, and everything was good because they were just so. My son's lifestyle is vastly different from the lifestyle I had when I was seven, but I always hope things are good for him. I've never been so anxious for a seven-year-old's opinion. From what I can see, though, things are okay. Things are not perfect, but they are just so, and more important than having the habit of going to bed at the right time is having the habit of finding things to be happy for. My birthday wish is for him to have that habit.

3 Comments:

Blogger Ree said...

hey maryanne. happy seven years of motherhood! i guess of all things to wish for, for your child, the abiity to be happy is a good choice. me, i don't know what i wish for raine--success? fulfillment? love? there's so much you want for them, so yes, i think happiness, or maybe contentment (not complacency or settling for something) in any situation is the best thing to wish for.

1:41 PM  
Blogger Lizza said...

Belated Happy Birthday to your boy! You're right, things are vastly different now from when we were seven. But it sounds like he's doing splendidly, with the right values in place.

And he's a bibliophile too! Cool.

8:39 PM  
Blogger Maryanne Moll said...

Yep! Proud mothers, us.

9:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home