Sensibilities

An attempt to make sense of things in a random universe, one Friday at a time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Leaving my footsteps for you to find and follow, my love.

22 May 2007

Due for a debauchery

I got reviewed over at World Blog Council, and it was fun! The members of the august council have "thoroughly approved" my blog. I had not realized I was being too bookish, though. But then again, maybe I just love being that way so much that it has become irrelevant to me whether I am bookish or not.

Indeed, I have been reading a lot, and reading mostly only the titles from daunting book lists such as the Best Novels of All Time, and the Pulitzer Prize-winning works, and the works of the Nobel Prize Laureates for Literature. But really, as Robertson Davies said in his 1991 lecture entitled "Writing and Reading," reading only the best can give you mental dyspepsia. So in honor of the fabulous people over at the World Blog Council, I will perform the suggested debauchery, not with marines, but with bad books.

Yes, I will read three bad books. Any suggestions?

4 Comments:

Blogger Maryanne Moll said...

Haha! Amazing how many people suggested a badly-written Philippine-published book for me to read but requested that their suggestions not be published.

Okay. Have no fear. :)

I admit I am looking forward to reading ALL of those bad books, as long as I know why I am reading them, which is, just so that I won't get mental dyspepsia.

Thanks so much, everyone! The floor is still open.

11:54 AM  
Blogger Ree said...

would that badly written book be chic happens by kitty go? i know there was a sequel to that (or is that the sequel?). i tried reading the first book, and i never finished it. and i hate NOT finishing a book. but what a waste of money. totally terrible! it gets me all worked up, seeing that book on the shelf in national!

1:49 PM  
Blogger Ree said...

oh, i, on the other hand, need to read good books! any suggestions? ;p

1:56 PM  
Blogger Maryanne Moll said...

Ah, the first-ever comment without an explicit request NOT to be published!

But I can't answer your question straight out, Ree, except to say that many of the readers who commented would perhaps find your opinion about the book NOT a completely isolated case of a breakdown of good taste.

I think I just answered your question straight out. Teehee. I couldn't resist!

As for good books, behold, The List:

http://maryannemoll.blogspot.com/2006/07/uberlist.html

That is highly contested, though, as it does not contain any Tolstoy or Austen, et al.

2:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home