Sensibilities

An attempt to make sense of things in a random universe, one Friday at a time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Leaving my footsteps for you to find and follow, my love.

20 February 2007

Back in the trenches

Sometimes I feel that my life these days is a constant race to beat deadlines. Most of the time, though, it's really just a regular -- but far from methodical -- dealing with writing backlogs, which is even worse. I keep lagging behind my calendar, as if I were an out-of-breath jogger being left behind by the platoon on their morning run.

This simply would not do. I needed a change of scenery. I needed a change in ambient sound. I needed maids to serve me mugfuls of hot chocolate and peanut butter sandwiches. I needed free unlimited long-distance calls courtesy of the household expense account. And I needed my son to call me to the television every afternoon after school to watch Totally Spies on the Disney Channel.

So one morning I woke up, loaded all my backlogs, my laptop and its peripherals and the gazillion cables they all need, into my car, and drove to Naga to stay till all my backlogs are no more. In anticipation of my eventual triumphant backlog-free drive back to Makati, I therefore wasted no time in setting up my little foxhole for the battle ahead, and in the process made my Mother's house look like a war zone.

These are two Monobloc tables pushed together and covered with a bed sheet, in the area adjacent to the comedor and perpendicular to the lanai, which can be seen in the upper right corner of the photo.


Not bad for a makeshift desk. Here's the spot where I actually write.

The only things I didn't bring with me from Makati are that lamp, that little tube of glue (it's Spiderman Glue), and the little yellow jar of Play-Doh. Come to think of it, I don't know what the Play-Doh is doing there.

And now let's play a little game. Look at the photo below and try to identify the objects on the desk.


The Play-Doh, the bedsheet, and the colored Velcro cable-ties are not included, but the partially shown objects are, if they're identifiable, which I think they are, by the way. Click on the photo for a larger view.

The first one who identifies at least ten other different items in the photo wins a book by John Updike and a cd containing the electronic texts of various classic works of literature, to be shipped via next-day courier service to any point in the Philippines. Brand names are not necessary but are preferred, simply because it would make the game more fun. Just don't forget to let me know where I can send an online message.

People who are in the house with me and who have visited me since I have arrived and have thus seen the desk in person are not allowed to join. For the rest, enjoy the game!

17 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me see:)

1. An HP Deskjet printer of unknown model/series
2. A Canon scanner. If it's the same as mine, it is powered through the USB cable.
3. Nail polish. Unknown brand. Looks like my daughters'
4. Sony Ericsson k310. I had the blue one, now with my eldest
5. Masking tape, Crocodile brand
6. A 25-centavo coin
7. A pair of tweezers
8. Two headphones
9. Power cable for notebook PC
10. Power cable for the deskjet printer
11. A pair of shades
12. USB cable (came with HP printer?)
13. Friends DVD

2:06 AM  
Blogger Maryanne Moll said...

Do keep the answers coming. Answers and the winner will be announced at the end of the month. until then, I will keep all entries unpublished.

Thanks! :)

2:15 AM  
Blogger gibbs cadiz said...

hi maryanne, gibbs cadiz here. i just would like to thank you for the supportive comments you posted in my blog. much appreciated. :) link-up? :)

1:25 AM  
Blogger Maryanne Moll said...

Sure! I already did. :) Thanks, too, Gibbs.

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi moll sino si cindy dalusong. ikaw lang ata nakakikilala sa kanya?

2:31 PM  
Blogger Maryanne Moll said...

Kung kahit nga si Ian Casocot di siya kilala, mas lalo na ako. She knows me, evidently, but I don't know her.

3:48 PM  
Blogger janet said...

Here's a try! :)

25 centavo coin
cellphone
CD of "Friends"
keys on a key ring
pens or nibs in a hard case?
charger for the PDA?
masking tape
shades
two books on top of a plastic box of disks
Powerbook
scanner
printer
tweezer
pad paper
2 sets of headphones
cell phone charger for the car
cable wires for the scanner and printer

2:05 AM  
Blogger Ree said...

hi. found your blog by way of janet's. just wanted to say i love the way you write, the rhythm, the words--your writing moves me.

that said, on to the game! hmm. let's see...
1. tweezors
2. set of small screwdrivers in a plastic case, the kind you use to open your PC
3. scotch tape
4. jay of olay total effects something
5. 2 sets of headphones
6. laptop
7. printer (HP deskjet?)
8. mead notepad
9. Friends DVD
10. one of those powder brushed metal filing baskets, with brown envelopes in it

and there's more! (this is fun)

11. 25 centavos
12. pocketbooks (handy dictionary and thesaurus perhaps? or the Word Menu)
13. plastic crate/box of CDs
14. phone charger
15. liquid paper or white out
16. cell phone...

thanks. that was a fun break :) am glad to see you blogging again.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Maryanne Moll said...

Okay, time for the game results! It's a day later, because I have momentarily left the trenches to drive to Manila and stay for a day and a half, and have now just gotten back.

Thanks for joining, Willy, Janet, and Ree. :)

Here are the things that are on the makeshift desk:

1. A Powerbook (partially shown)
2. An HP printer
3. A Canon scanner (evidently Willy has the same one)
4. a headset
5. the extension cord for the Powerbook
6. the power brick for the HP printer
7. the USB cable for the Canon scanner
8. Crocodile scotch tape (almost entirely used up)
9. a wall socket charger for an XDA2s
10 a car charger for an XDA2s
11. an Aidata cd file box made of plastic
12. a Spy Gear spy camera with shades
13. a tiny chocolate in the shape of a wine bottle
14. a screwdriver set in a case
15. a Sony Ericsson mobile phone
16. a Friends VCD
17. another headset
18. a set of keys
19. a legal pad (partially shown)
20. a wire-bound file
21. a jar of Nivea Night Face Cream
22. a metal file holder with a brown envelope in it
23. a pair of tweezers
24. a 25-centavo coin

Willy came really close with 9. His waterloo was the power cable for the PC notebook. It's for a Mac. :)

Janet and Ree are in a close fight, but since Janet submitted hers first, then she gets the John Updike and the ebook compilation of selected classic literature. Congrats, Janet! Will email you shortly.

This was a fun game. Janet, knowing I use fountain pens, thought the screwdriver case held nibs. Ree, being a girl, mentioned Olay. Willy, being a guy -- and most likely a techie -- did not see the face cream but was able to say that my scanner was the kind that was USB-powered.

Thanks again for joining, guys! Till the next game. :)

1:33 AM  
Blogger Willy B Prilles, Jr said...

Aw c'mon!?!

Is there a special prize somewhere for the fastest answer in the planet? hahahaha!

10:31 AM  
Blogger Maryanne Moll said...

Of course! You get a copy of the cd as well, for winning in the Fastest Answer in the Planet Category. Email shall be sent shortly. :)

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sayang, too late!
Should visit your blog more often !

2:55 PM  
Blogger Maryanne Moll said...

Hey, Sidney! That's okay, there'll be another game soon. :)

4:47 PM  
Blogger Nabeel said...

you have beautiful handwriting .. the lamp makes the desk look soo .. i dunno .. the light is just soo soothing.

5:29 AM  
Blogger Maryanne Moll said...

Thanks for visiting, Nabeel. :)

10:30 AM  
Blogger Hannah Grace said...

Ah I envy you for getting a chance to get holed-up some place and try to finish up all the backlog. I ALWAYS have backlog and I never catch up. Just when I'm about too something happens..like my son getting sick, my harddrive finally failing, Smart Bro acting up, my hubby demanding us time, or me getting fed up. Waaah. I want the backlog to disappear...

Apologies for using your comment section to whine... Now I feel so much better. Back to work!

12:53 AM  
Blogger Maryanne Moll said...

Hi, Haannah Grace! At least we're dealing with our backlogs together. Haha! Thanks for dropping by! :)

1:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home