Sensibilities

An attempt to make sense of things in a random universe, one Friday at a time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Leaving my footsteps for you to find and follow, my love.

29 August 2006

Another list for the bookworm in me

I've been tagged by Irene Tuazon at mypregnantpauses.blogspot.com!

1. One book that changed your life - the hardest question first.
One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. This book came late into my life -- only last year -- but I will never be the same again.

2. One book that you've read more than once.
Memoirs of a Geisha by Arhtur Golden. I read it maybe four times while I was pregnant. You can imagine my disappointment when they made it into a movie. I didn't watch the movie, of course. Such sacrilege.

3. One book that you'd want on a desert island.
Soul Mountain by Gao Xingjian

4. One book that made you laugh.
Forever, Erma by Erma Bombeck

5. One book that made you cry.
The Thornbirds by Colleen McCullough. But come to think of it, I cried only because I was ten years old at the time.

6. One book that you wish you had written.
Unless by Carol Shields

7. One book you wish had never been written.
Eyes of Laura Mars by H.B. Gilmour. It was a movie before it was made into a book. What's the point? The first incarnation is always better than the second. The movie was fabulous. The book is not. What a waste.

8. One book that you are reading at the moment.
Konstable by Margarita Cojuangco, Rene Cruz, Guillermo Domondon, Ramon Monato, and Cesar Nazareno.

9. One book that you've been meaning to read.
Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. But I have to be able to concentrate on it.

10. Five others (or more) that you’d like to do this.
The Wordsmith, The Coach's Wife, Migginot, Jolography, and The One Who Keeps Eclipsing. See my links at left.

4 Comments:

Blogger Irene said...

Thanks for playing book tag, Maryanne!!

I also think Erma Bombeck's a hoot! :p

You came up with a highly interesting list. I'll check out some of the titles you mentioned. But what I can't wait to read is YOUR published work! Hope your books are easily available in the local bookstores. c",)

11:05 PM  
Blogger Maryanne Moll said...

thanks, irene. it was fun. try to check out an older post of mine titled "back but not quite the same." i think it's in the february archive.

my first two books are, sadly, out of print already. however, i have seem one or two dirty manhandled copies in a couple of national bookstores around metro manila. even i don't have a copy of my book. isn't that strange?

oh, well. at least that means i must have earned something from royalties.

anyway, thanks for visiting. and by the way, my blog got critiqued, too!

12:48 AM  
Blogger Scott Stambler said...

wow. no one reads Erma Bombeck anymore. Or Bennet Cerf. Or the modern classic humorists.... nice site. found it on Critique My B.

Portnoy

9:35 AM  
Blogger Maryanne Moll said...

i think erma is a classic because she represents the kind of humor that her era had.

much like s.j. perelman did for his own era's kind of humor.

or, for that matter, dickens. now we have jay leno.

thanks, portnoy. )

10:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home