Sensibilities

An attempt to make sense of things in a random universe, one Friday at a time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Leaving my footsteps for you to find and follow, my love.

16 May 2006

At the force march

Written on the sole of my combat boots
is the name of the man in my life.
I didn’t write it there, and neither did he.
It was the bootmaker who wrote it there
to remind himself of the person
who was going to pay for the boots.
Little did that bootmaker know
that the hastily scribbled name,
which meant nothing to him but 1500 bucks,
would give me the power I needed
to walk 28 kilometers for 6 hours,
and drive another 25 at 3kph.
When I got to the bivouac
with the 900 troops who walked with me,
the mud had already obliterated the name.
But no matter; it has fulfilled its purpose.
Because at the camp, the real guy,
who walked the entire 53 kilometers overnight
in the darkness and driving rain,
had time to hold me and tell me
that names don't matter
because we already know who we are
to each other.

7 Comments:

Blogger janet said...

Oh this is so beautiful, Maryanne!

2:38 PM  
Blogger /iambrew said...

sweet naman nun. hayyy...

9:10 PM  
Blogger Sidney said...

Very sweet ! Isn't love wonderful ! :-)

3:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi maryann!

how are you now? you're so brave and i admire you for your soul-filled writing. never thought of the wellspring of big big talent of this lady in the front row of my class.

Congratulations! write on!

4:39 PM  
Blogger Maryanne Moll said...

Ma'am Vitti! Wow, you found my blog! I'm so touched. You know, I still use some of my notes from our Economics class. Hehe. Very handy in light informal debates.

So nice to see you commenting here. Take care! Hope to see you soon, after fourteen years.

4:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love the way your writing flows. by the way 'at merienda' ended, i got hooked. very commanding ang endings mo just like this one about the man in your life. am happy nagagamit mo pa ang 'learning' from me. i'm now going to the bookstore to buy your books. salamat ha and may you have enough inspiration and courage in your life to write from the soul.

12:01 PM  
Blogger Maryanne Moll said...

Thanks so much for the appreciation and encouragement, Ma'am Vitti! I hope I always satisfy my readers. :) Take care always and hope to bump into you soon, wherever. Haha!

1:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home