Sensibilities

An attempt to make sense of things in a random universe, one Friday at a time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Leaving my footsteps for you to find and follow, my love.

04 March 2006

Things from old nightmares

Decoherence is an attempt to explain and understand the second phase of quantum mechanics. Quantum mechanics deals with the most microcosmic components of the universe, and Phase One of it is the phase in which all these particles that make up the cosmos are hovering between possibilities, between varying stages of entropy. Phase Two is the phase in which the particles are already measured, detected, seen, largely by human intelligence and the tools at its disposal, at which point the particles break the entropy and decide what existence or reality to take.

It’s quite philosophical. If there is no one there to see the particle, it is ambiguous, undecided, ghostly, hovering between millions of possibilities and alternate universes, but the moment someone appears with a measuring tool or a detector, the particle immediately casts its own history irrevocably.

However, this does not render irrelevant all the other possibilities that the particle did not eventually decide to go by. The quandary of quantum mechanics now is to how to account for all those possibilities that are lost once a particle is seen and witnessed and measured and placed in space and time, because all these possibilities are somehow part and parcel of the history that the particle cast itself into upon being detected, just that they have been overlooked before in the race to make sense of the particle’s end-point. Thus Decoherence, an exploration of the various explanations that may account for these lost possibilities, to not ignore them, to give them some form of cognizance or honor, or at the very least, reason them into either irrelevance or oblivion.

As this is the nature of the physical world, so it is the nature of human reality. It's not fixed at all. Even when history happens, there is always an arbitrariness floating around, hints of possible outcomes, of futures not chosen, of what-could-have-beens. The world is a combination of things both lost and found, layers upon layers of wishes, wants, desires, failures, gropings, an ocean of opportunity rendered secret by just an eye, by just one human decision made. And yet, even as a destiny is cast, all other possible destinies, though rendered irrelevant, still linger in the consciosuness like unsolved equations, like a square root unextracted, like an algebraic value not rendered in its simplest form.

I still think of the possibilities that my life could have had had I never met certain people, or taken certain paths. Like things from old nightmares they come to me in visions when I am awake. Like when a man appears with the ability to see me for who I am, and I decide who I want to be. I cast myself into a state, breaking my entropy. But I feel that it is simply beyond me to analyze how all those other lost possibilities could have had an impact on this route that I have chosen to take, this man that I have chosen over all the other men in the world. I am no physicist; I cannot decohere. I am perfectly content to just have love, which is, by the way, also a kind of history and just as irrevocable.

6 Comments:

Blogger Sidney said...

Accept the things to which fate binds you, and love the people with whom fate brings you together, but do so with all your heart. - Marcus Aurelius

10:39 PM  
Blogger Ron said...

rhett butler is a fantasticly analytical philosopher.

i myself don't really think about those possibilities because of the very reason that he "give a damn" -- because it truly doesn't matter. one can think about all of the actions that one has taken and basically let those evaluations make them more informed on making future choices (learning from mistakes or successes) but it really is useless to think about "what might've been" as idle dreaming is extremely unproductive and doesn't help one to grow and develop. the world doesn't move backwards so we need to keep looking forward.

12:49 AM  
Blogger Tibibord said...

hi. found your link on my batchmate vic nierva's blog. just wanted to say the writing is kick-ass.

3:52 AM  
Blogger Maryanne Moll said...

thanks, everyone! :)

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Maryanne,
I believe that each and every one of us has its own destiny and its own ways of growing, learning and achieving. I also believe that we can make everything simple . . . that is . . . will depend on how we deal with all trials, "failure" and "success" . . . our ways of responding in every event of our life.

I had past boyfriends before I meet my husband.

Sarong aldaw grabe and lambing nya sako, sabi nya padabaon nya daa akong maray. Ano daa ta dai nya ako nabisto kaitohon pa daang maray...sana dai daa ako nag aksaya ning panahon sa nakaagi kong boyfriend..

I simply replay....

"The past has thought me allot of things in life...I know I am much better person right now."

Honestly, I am thankful of the past. They made me stronger, wiser and happier of my life.

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i didn't know 'break' is something you attach with the concept of entropy when something has been defined into some state of existence, especially when one is pondering possibilities before that.

7:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home