Sensibilities

An attempt to make sense of things in a random universe, one Friday at a time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Leaving my footsteps for you to find and follow, my love.

02 September 2009

And the search begins

The search for a manual typewriter for my son Chandler and my niece Cheska, that is. They saw mine when they visited me in Manila recently, and they wanted their own. And they want them badly! Chandler, for instance -- who has typed up the first sentence of a story about a swan who lost its voice on my typewriter -- has taken to calling me up everyday to ask if I have acquired a typewriter for him from any one of my 2,000 officemates. I have already begun, but since the typewriter is fast going the way of the dodo, I need a little bit more help.

Thus, I am on a mission.

I have decided not to purchase brand new typewriters for them. The new ones are made of plastic and they skitter across the table when being typed on, and they are so flimsy that I am certain they won't even last. I prefer the older manual typewriters because they are sturdy and more reliable. I can't have Chandler feeling bad once a flimsy plastic typewriter breaks down. (And I can't have Chandler asking me once again to look for a typewriter from all of my 2,000 officemates.)

So, help!

And just to pique your interest, here are vintage typewriter ads for the Royal Portable, which came in different color choices.







Do drop me a comment if you know leads on any typewriters within Metro Manila that still work, no matter how dirty. Since my comments page is moderated, you can be sure your contact details will stay private. Many, many thanks!

[Image credit]

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I read your post about onion skin paper and am now hooked. You express yourself so eloquently. And now I want a manual typewriter too! I remember working on my mom's (nothing cute or fancy though I can't remember what kind it actually was) when I was a kid.
This website came up when I did a quick search for manuals so I thought I'd share it with you. Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but you never know: http://www.mytypewriter.com/

2:57 AM  
Blogger Maryanne Moll said...

Thanks, Melissa!

I've already scoured the internet sources for manual typewriters, and MyTypewriter is definitely a fantastic source.

However, I prefer to make my purchase within Metro Manila because it's not only cheaper and with no entailing mailing cost, it will also allow me to test the typewriter before buying it.

Thanks for dropping by. Glad to know I have a fellow onion skin lover.

7:14 PM  
Blogger Migs Bassig said...

I want one of these, too! My laptop computer is heaving with hints of impending death; this looks so much more durable. And stylish. I hope you will give us an update when you find typewriters for your son and niece.

Thank you kindly for reporting on this new mission. Now I can tell my friends I am not the only one who wants a typewriter. Good luck with your search!

12:13 PM  
Blogger Maryanne Moll said...

Glad to hear that! I'll surely make an announcement once I find them.

10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home