Sensibilities

An attempt to make sense of things in a random universe, one Friday at a time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Leaving my footsteps for you to find and follow, my love.

01 March 2013

Summer in my pocket

Ever since I was a child, I have always considered the first day of March to be the first day of summer. Even though school was not yet done for the academic school year, there was always an anticipation in the air, and the deeply comforting fact that school would always eventually end at some point in March, and then I would be free to get out of bed whenever I want, read whatever books I wanted that school did not require of me, and pretty much spend my days without planning anything beforehand.


I absolutely looked forward to summer every year when I was a child. For me summer was always this hot, dry, dusty pocket of time inside a year of on-again-off-again rains. And because in my grownup years I do not really get to experience it much anymore, because office work goes on and on consistently, every day, Mondays through Fridays, no matter the season, summer then attained a kind of mysticism for me. I have grown to love the rain, yes, but summer would always be that wonderful, magical time of year that was for children only. And each time summer comes, I would take a moment everyday to remember the child that I once was, growing up in the barrio, running around the great big lawn, climbing up the trees to stay in a branch and read a book, making paper dolls, picking petals off flowers and pasting them onto the pages of my notebooks.

Recently I have discovered a fountain pen ink that carries all of this wonderful nostalgia of summer: Diamine Kelly Green.


It’s a light and happy shade of green, and when used with good paper, especially one that is made for fountain pens, like the 85g cream Clairefontaine paper that is inside the Quo Vadis Habana, the shading properties of the ink is enhanced. I have loaded it inside a Lamy with a 1.5 italic nib so I can lay down more of this ink with every stroke, and it’s now my everyday pick-me-upper. Writing with this ink always makes me feel better about things, all the more if I am writing about the things that make me happy, like so:


This is one of my favorite everyday writing inks, because I like carrying a piece of summer with me.


[Image credits: 1, 2]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home