Sensibilities

An attempt to make sense of things in a random universe, one Friday at a time.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Philippines

Leaving my footsteps for you to find and follow, my love.

20 January 2012

I'm on Pakinggan Pilipinas again

But this time, I am reading someone else's story.


Last Saturday, Elyss Punsalan's monthly podcast site which features short fiction by Filipino authors showcased Marianne Villanueva's "Coconut," which I read. After the recording, Elyss and I chatted for a while, about Marianne's story, about writing, about UP, about a few fears and doubts I have been having lately about my career, how I'm coping with them, and a few other things.

We recorded the podcast last September 2011, and my life was different then. Some of the doubts and fears are the same, still soaking in the damp darkness of my past, but some of them have already begun dissipating into the light of the new morning.

You can listen to the whole thing here.

Last December 2010, too, Dulce Amor Fortunato read my short story, "God is the space between." The podcast is here. The story eventually made it to the special crime issue of Philippine Genre Stories.

I hope you enjoy our podcasts, and please do follow Pakinggan Pilipinas.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the podcast, and your brief chat with the host as well. Your story-in-progress, "Deluge", seems to be have a very interesting premise and I can't wait to read it.

Good luck with it. Move on from "At Merienda". However good that work is, there are a lot more great stories in you. It's good that you are being deliberate in you approach to writing. That's why writing is called a craft after all.

I'm reminded of a story in "The Interpreter of Maladies", Jhumpa Lahiri's collection of stories. In that story, "A Temporary Matter", an Indian couple gets notice that their electricity will be out an hour every day for five days. During that (literally and figuratively) dark hour, when there is nothing else they could do, secrets spill out and confessed. And things are never the same again between them.

I see your "Deluge" follow a similar trajectory, except perhaps it affects the whole town and not just a couple. The town perhaps, will never be the same again.

Interestingly, I actually see you, as a writer, in the same mold as Lahiri.

Go, finish that story! Good luck! -E

3:20 PM  
Blogger Maryanne Moll said...

Hi, E. I have read that Jumpa Lahiri story, years ago, in Professor Dalisay's class, and I loved it. And I am flattered that you see me in the same mold as Lahiri. Thanks for the support!

6:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home